As a donor family member, you may wish to communicate with the recipient(s) of your loved one's corneas. Writing to the recipients can sometimes be a comfort. Some donor family members who write choose to share a bit of information about their loved one: his or her family, occupation, interests, etc. Recipients do appreciate these letters.
The Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley encourages and facilitates all correspondence between donor families and cornea recipients. We always protect the confidentiality of both the donor families and the recipients. If you would like to write a letter to the recipient of your loved one's corneas, please use the following guidelines. These guidelines are recommended by the National Donor Family Council, an organization committed to assisting and protecting all donor families.
Writing About Your Loved One
* Include first names only.
* You may discuss family situations such as marital status, children and grandchildren.
* Share his or her job or occupation, hobbies, and interests.
* Please avoid giving too much medical information about how your loved one died.
* Use simple language.
* Do not get too personal in an initial letter.
* Since the religion of the recipient is unknown, please consider this if you are including religious comments.
Closing Your Card or Letter
* Sign your first name only.
* Do not reveal your address, city or phone number.
* Do not reveal the name of the hospital where you loved one died.
Allow Extra Mailing Time
Please allow extra mailing time for your card or letter to reach the cornea recipient(s). Once the Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley receives your card or letter, we will review it for confidentiality purposes only and then forward it to the recipient(s).
Will You Hear from the Recipients?
You may or may not hear from the recipient of your loved one's corneas. Please remember that all recipients have experienced a debilitating illness. While some recipients may respond immediately, others may find it initially difficult.
Thank You for Writing
We know that recipients appreciate hearing from the families of their donors. We can also appreciate how difficult it must have been for you to write this letter. We thank you for your thoughtfulness and for helping to give the "Gift of Sight."
Mailing Your Card or Letter
* Place your card or letter in an unsealed envelope.
* On a separate piece of paper, please write your name, the name of your loved one and the date of the donation.
* Place the letter and the paper in another envelope and seal it.
* Mail to:
Donor Family/Recipient Services
Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley
401 North 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123