As a corneal recipient, you may wish to communicate with your donor's family. Donor families do appreciate letters and often find comfort in receiving them. The Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley protects the confidentiality of all recipients and donor families, but we do encourage and facilitate correspondence between recipients and donor family members.
If you would like to write to your donor's family, please use the following guidelines, which were developed by the National Donor Family Council:
- Includes first names only
- Do not reveal your address, city, phone number or the name of your physician
- Acknowledge the donor family's loss and thank them for their gift
- Share information on your marital status, children, grandchildren, your job or occupation, hobbies, etc.
Allow extra mailing time
Please allow extra time for your card or letter to reach the donor’s family. Once the Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley receives your card or letter, we will review it for confidentiality purposes only and then forward it to the donor family.
Will you hear from the donor family?
You may or may not hear from the family of your donor. Please remember that all donor families have experienced a terrible loss. While some may respond immediately, others may find it too difficult.
Mailing your card or letter
- Place your card or letter in an unsealed envelope.
- On a separate piece of paper, please write your name, address and date of your transplant.
- Place the letter and the paper in another envelope and seal it.
- Mail to:
Donor Family/Recipient Services
Lions Eye Bank of Delaware Valley
401 North 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123
You can also honor your donor hero by donating in his or her name to the Eye Bank through our Donor Heroes program.